Thursday, August 28, 2008

14 mONTHS aND sTICHES

Here is the whole bloody story...Marley was playing at my mom's house on Monday and some of the kids went out the front door. My mom's house is a split entry home and Marley goes up and down her stairs at least five times a day. Marley decided she wanted to go outside and went down the stairs. I didn't see exactly what happened, I only heard bump, bump, boom and then crying. I ran to the stairs and found Marley laying face up at the bottom with blood coming out of her head. I instantly thought STITCHES!!! It took Marley about 10 minutes to calm down and then she was pretty reasonable.
Blake and I took her to our pediatrician's office and they first put some numbing gel on her head. We were so lucky that the doctor who was stitching her up works in the ER at Primary Children's hospital. She said she stitches kids up all the time. Marley had to get papoosed to the table and then the horrible part began. They poked her with a needle and then started stitching. Each of the 9 times the needle went through her head she screamed. The nurse was dipping her binky in sugar water, but it didn't really help. During the stitching is when I decided I was a really bad mom and that I should have kept her from falling! After the stitching they opened the straight-jacket thing and Marley was so sweaty and sad. She just laid shaking on my shoulder, but by the time we got to the car, she seemed fine. We had to take the band-aid off right away because Marley was trying to tear it off. Doesn't this picture say it all! I am tired and hurt, but I can deal with it. (That is Marley all right!)
This is Marley picking at her stitches. She did this for the first day she had the stitches. She must of gotten sick of me telling her no, because she finally stopped touching them.
We bought Marley some fruit snacks after her ordeal and this is her doing the sign for 'candy'.
And the sign for 'please'.
The wound looks much better now that it is four days later. The stitches are disolvable, but she has to go get checked out on Saturday. I think it is so funny what some people say about this little incident. I was at the park yesterday and one of the dad's started up a conversation. He asked me about Marley's stitches. After I told him the story he said, "I guess you weren't watching her very well."
-Yep, I guess I wasn't.
Now for some 14 month information...
Marley is still learning new things every day and she is so busy and fun. My sister calls her the Piranha because she is a biter. I was trying to get her swimming suit on one day at the pool and she was so mad. Every time she saw one of my limbs she would go for it with her mouth. She tries to bite quite often, although it has slowed down a little bit. She usually bites me or my niece Kaiya. I guess because we are the coolest!!
She has some new words added to her list: cheese and please.
She signs more things, but her most frequent are water, dog, please, candy, eat and tree.
Things she loves:
eating (especially candy), being outside riding in the wagon or stroller, swinging, reading
Things she hates:
being in her high chair, getting her face washed, getting dressed
Love her!!!!

6 comments:

Akaela and Jason said...

I guess you should start watching her closer. It's your fault she got hurt. I would never let that happen to my kids. I'm surprised Stratton hasn't gone to the hospital recently.

BJJ said...

I know that was Jason and next time I see you I am going to punch you!!!

Elisa said...

Oh good heavens! I'd like to see him do a better job. I think you're doing great Jeri!

Georges said...

She's such a little trooper. I love her personality! Watching her get stiched up must have been the worst! Maybe that will teach you!! :) I can't believe someone would say that to you.

Kristin said...

That dad probably doesn't do much of the babysitting at his house, that is the only explaination I can think of to say something like that. I am sorry that you all had to go through that, that sticks. But, that is why I love taking care of kids, once the ordeal is done they get over it and just want to play and be kids. Rather than us adults who would probably lay on the couch for the next few days whining! Take care, we need to play sometime soon!

Tara said...

you guys always stay so busy! poor Marley...she looks like such a toughy though...someday we'll get to meet her!!! Jeri...don't know how you do it...I would've been freaking out. We miss you guys and think of you often! love ya and thanks for the updates!