Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Busy Times and Project Bye Bye Binky

Everyone is busy....Heck it is summertime right!
In July we have been to two family reunions that consisted of traveling to Idaho and Bear Lake. I have had girls camp for a week and I recently finished up Youth Conference.
Not to mention swimming lessons, soccer camp, BBQ's, work and everyday life added into all the travel.
CRAZY!!!
I am now coming up for air.
On to Project Binky and Marley.
I was going to try out this cute idea from a friend of mine where she gathered up all the binkies in the house and took her daughter to Build-A-Bear. All the binkies were put inside the bear, which the girl could then cuddle and sleep with, cute hu! The only problem is that her daughter is about a year and a half older than mine, so I think the concept will be difficult to understand.
Another friend suggested cutting the binky, just a little bit everyday.
This is the method I am trying. It wasn't a big deal when I cut the binky the first night, but the second night made a hole in the top of the binky. I am guessing that this makes the binky less satisfying.
Marley eagerly grabbed for the binky, put it in her mouth and quickly pulled it out, studied it and put it back in her mouth. She said, "I don't want this binky." I said, "This is the only binky." So she put it back in her mouth:)
I felt like a terrible mom, very guilty.
She didn't go to sleep until 10:00 last night. So maybe cold turkey is better, I don't know.

6 comments:

Daija said...

Oh, good luck! These things are so hard. We haven't had to deal with it yet, but I was reading some parenting magazine about weaning, and one doctor said that for children over three it is good to wean gradually, but for younger kids cold turkey is best.

Jonathan and I were watching Supernanny once and she had the "binky fairy" come. They told the little girl that the binky fairy takes binkies from children that don't need them anymore and gives them to babies that do. Then they put the binkies in the mail box and then later there was glitter and other "fairy" things left. I thought it was a cute idea, and it seemed pretty effective.

I don't know if any of this was helpful, but I thought I'd jot down some thoughts anyway.

BJJ said...

Thank you Daija!!!! Maybe I will try the binky fairy...she is a girly girl.

Luke and Kellie said...

I did the cutting thing and my daughter didn't take naps for a week! But then she just got used to it would suck on the cut off pacifiers so a week later I cut a little more off and she would just look for the pacifiers with the most left! Finally I cut it down to a stump and she didn't sleep well for one or two nights but then she was fine! Good luck!

Luke and Kellie said...

Um..it is hard to remember but I think we first cut just the tip off when she was like 20-22 months old. My sister had done this with one of her kids and she said once he tried each pacifier and realized they were all ruined he just never asked for one again! But that was not the case with my daughter she was willing to suck on it anyway so I gave it a couple week and then cut them some more. But again she kept sucking on them for another several weeks. Then finally the day she turned 2 I cut them all the way down. So I think I did this all over several months, mostly because I would feel so bad about taking them away. But in the end the when I cut them all the way she didn't really have a hard time. We let her keep the cut pacifiers and for the next few nights when she went to bed if she asked for one we would give her one and she would try to suck on it and then throw it or just hold it. There were probably a few tears but just a minute or two.
Well I hope this makes sense and answered your questions. (Sorry if there are tons of typos) It is so hard to take away something that they love so much (:

Anonymous said...

I think you should just bury it in the garden in the backyard -- didn't that work for you? Oh yeah, that's right - you were 5? hee hee. Hopefully you don't get hissed at or even worse bitten by the binky starved piranha :) I love her!!

Lu said...

We did the binky cutting thing for Layla and it only took a few nights and then she didn't want them. Good luck. Adeline seems to be weaning herself off of her binkie which makes me so sad. I don't think I'm ready for her to give it up! She's not even 1 yet!